Day Six: Five people who mean a lot to you (in no order whatsoever):
*This one seems patently unfair. To limit people who mean a lot to a paltry list of five? Bah. This list is in no way inclusive of the people who mean a lot to me, neither is it definitive nor representative of “my top five people”. These are simply the first people who came to mind today. Next week or next month, I might write a different list, which in no way would negate nor diminish the list of folks here.*
1. My daughter. If it wasn’t abundantly clear from my earlier posts in this challenge, she’s got the number one spot in my heart. I’m proud beyond measure of who she is becoming and I can’t wait to see where she goes next.
2. My mom. My dad died nearly 13 years ago, so it’s just been mom for some time. As much as our history is fraught with “issues” and as much as we don’t see eye to eye on a lot of things, she’s always been a staunch supporter of me and my choices as well as my efforts in raising a daughter solo.
3. My former sub, “M”. He and I were together for three and a half years. All of it good. We’re still friends – still there for each other whenever support is needed. We still keep up with each other’s family and hug when we see each other. The reason(s) we split are personal but neither of us ever felt the need to lay blame at the other’s feet. We had a good run. We’ll always be there for each other in some fundamental ways. And for that, I’m grateful.
4. My friend “K”. When you teach at your kid’s school, it limits your opportunities for adult friendships severely. Befriending teachers is risky – you don’t want special treatment conferred upon your kid. Befriending your kid’s friends is tricky for a multitude of reasons and really not a good idea when you teach them for four years straight.
Being an introvert at my core means making friends that are more than surface-level acquaintances is a helluva lot of effort.
That’s why what K offered in the way of friendship and support this year was such a gift. And right now, she’s the only sure ally I have in my department – the only one I truly trust and know is on my side with no ulterior motives. She’s pretty special.
5. I’m going to cheat here – there’s simply no way to limit this list to just five people. There are two submissive guys that mean a lot to me – coincidentally, both have the same first initial: J. If someone gets close to me, they mean a lot to me – that’s just how it works. I express a lot of my dominance through genuine care for my submissive(s).
One J I’ve known for nearly a year and a half, and he’s been my long-distance boy for over a year now. I only get to see him in the flesh a couple of times a year, but we’re in contact daily and he’s an awesome support and a lot of fun. We’re quite comfortable with each other and it’s really nice to spend time with people (even virtually) with whom you can just relax and “be”.
The other J is newer, but the simple fact that I’ve permitted him a second start with me says a lot in itself. I think he’s a pretty neat guy and it will be interesting to see where this journey takes us.